Home Page    Contact PWSD#1    Pay Your Bill Online    News Page

Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a series of questions that Public Water Supply District #1 Customers frequently ask.  Just click on the question and the answer will appear below. 

If your question is not asked and answered below, try searching our site: 
If that fails, CONTACT THE OFFICE!

Billing Questions

What are the usual Billing Procedures?

We will read meters between the 15th and the 20th of each month. The reading date will be determined on how the month falls and if there are holidays to consider. The bill is due on the 1st of the month, but you have until the 10th to pay it. If you fail to pay by the 10th of the month or if your payment is postmarked after the 10th, a penalty of 10% of that month's usage will be assessed to your account. There are no exceptions. If the 10th falls on a Saturday, the above applies. However, if the 10th falls on a Sunday and remittance is received on Monday, the 11th, or postmarked the 11th, there will be no penalty. There is a drop box to the left of our front door if you need to drop your bill off before or after hours.

Meters are locked for non-payment when payment has not been received prior to the date specified on the current billing statement. If payment has not been made by this time, the customer will be charged a $50.00 service charge and the water service will be disconnected. The account has to be paid in full before re-connection occurs. If we are unsuccessful in collecting on an account, the bill will be turned over to a collection agency. We charge $25.00 for all payments returned from any financial institutions due to non-payable circumstances.

How can I re-establish my credit if my service is disconnected?

If your water service has been disconnected for non-payment and you want the service re-connected, the following will be required:

1. Payment of all outstanding balances plus six percent (6%) interest
2. $50 Re-connect fee
3. Deposit, if none exists on account

What about FINAL BILLS?

When you no longer need service at your present location, please contact our office. The following information will be necessary:

1. Your name
2. Account number
3. Date meter is to be locked
4. Address where final bill or deposit refund will need to be sent

We will read and lock the meter on the date specified, and a final bill will be figured. If you have a deposit on the account, the final bill will be applied towards the deposit. A check will be issued within 30 days to refund any part of the deposit left over. If the deposit does not cover total amount of final bill, we will send you a statement with total due. This is due upon receipt.

General Questions

How do I become a Rural Water Customer?

A water service account with us can be opened by:

1. Coming to our office located on US Highway 136 west of Unionville during normal business hours (8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday thru Friday)

2. You can request an Application for Water Service form either mailed or faxed to you and then return it to us with your payment

3. You can download the “Application for Water Service” and then return it to us with your payment.
Payment can be made by check, money order, MasterCard, VISA or Discover.

We charge a reconnect fee of $5.00 for opening an account (new or old) to cover the administrative costs of putting the account in your name. This fee is charged each time you change locations in the District and is non–refundable.

All applicants are required to pay a deposit for each account that is in their name. An owner's deposit is $100.00 and must include legal proof of ownership (ie. warranty deed). A renter's deposit is $200.00. This will remain on the account as long as the meter is accessible to the customer.

We require an adult present when we come out to connect service. This prevents water damage to the residence and also prevents excessive usage. Maintenance personnel can connect your service Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.

What if I find a LEAK?

If you discover a ruptured PWSD water line or excessive water sitting in a ditch, please call our office immediately so we can investigate and repair the problem as soon as possible.

You can reach us at (660) 947-3616 or toll-free at (800) 951-3617. After hours call the Putnam County E911 #660-947-4202. They will contact maintenance.
If we verify that there is a leak, we will pay a $10 leak reward to the person reporting it.

Can I turn my meter on or off?

No one but an employee or a person authorized by PWSD shall turn on the water or shut it off except in the case of a leak.
It is recommended to put your own shut off valve in, on your side of the meter. Then you are able to shut water off if needed.
Only PWSD field representatives are allowed to disconnect or remove meters and/or other equipment contained in the meter pit. Any person removing a meter without the Owner's knowledge and consent will be assessed a $100.00 tampering charge plus the cost of materials if any damage is caused to the meter, connections or service pipe.


Website hosted, designed and managed by World Visions Internet Services, LLC